From PHONT Project Wiki
LexEVS is a collection of programmable interfaces that provide users with the ability to access standard, controlled, terminologies. The controlled terminologies provide accepted standards for semantic annotation that can be applied in a research setting. LexEVS features a caCORE Software Development Kit (SDK) generated system. The caCORE generated tool set can be used by an Java developer to access a given terminology service and any value sets associated with terminologies hosted in that service.
The caCORE generated service provides a number of web services including:
- The LexEVS Java API via Java Remote Method Invocation.
- REST Data Services
- SOAP Data Services
- a variety of other direct to database query services against the LexGrid Data Model
The LexEVS 6.0 implementation did much to move LexEVS closer to the draft standards for CTS2. The PHONT project will leverage some of these features to help establish standards including providing access to standard value sets.
- LexEVS will provide current terminology versions to allow annotation of data dictionary variables with controlled vocabulary standard concepts.
- PHONT project data dictionary variables that have a restricted value domain will be normalized and expressed as LexEVS Value Set Definitions and Pick Lists.
- PHONT data dictionary variables that have no adequate concept correlation in standard dictionaries will have the option of being expressed in custom coding schemes authored in LexEVS.
- Terminology services will be available to any users who wish to access these via the LexEVS caCORE API tool set or the EVS terminology service homepage.